Forming and operating a nonprofit entity involves several considerations that differ from those of for-profit entities. Our attorneys have formed, advised, and served as outside counsel to several 501(c)(6) business associations, as well as various 501(c)(3) organizations. Whether your nonprofit’s mission is trade-oriented or charitable, our team of experienced attorneys can help you every step along the way.
From formation and beyond, nonprofits are subject to several regulatory requirements. Our attorneys have experience in forming nonprofit entities and properly filing for tax-exemption status. Not all activities qualify for tax exemption and the regulations can be complicated. Further, employment laws, board of director governance, and even real estate issues create legal nuances that nonprofits must manage. Our attorneys can help you navigate these issues.
- Business Associations
- Charitable Organizations
- Educational Organizations
- Religious Organizations
- Incorporated and applied for federal, state, and local tax-exemption for numerous nonprofit organizations
- Served as outside general counsel to business association dedicated to the transformation of government information into standardized, open data
- Served as outside general counsel to open data advocacy and research organizations
- Served as outside general counsel to business association consisting of prominent members of the transportation industry
- Served as outside general counsel to award-winning nonprofit dedicated to the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC
- Advised as to formation of 501(c)(3) research affiliate of 501(c)(6) business association
- Determined appropriate attribution for Creative Commons licensing for data aggregation project for nonprofit client
- Converted consultants into full-time employees of business association
- Prepared employment agreements for employees of business associations and charitable organizations
- Reviewed and negotiated subleases and numerous other agreements on behalf of businesses associations